On the flipside of a book cover featuring an image vaguely reminiscent of a paramilitary Lynyrd Skynyrd is a blurb with the following words:
Civil War II isn’t just a nightmare anymore…
Social, political, and economic forces are pulling America apart and driving her toward a bloody war that may fracture the nation into several different countries, divided along ethnic lines. Riots…gangs…militias…exploding crime rates…mass immigration…rising unemployment…falling wages…these are all factors that will fuel the fires of war.
Take an in depth look at these dangerous trends with military analyst Thomas Chittum in Civil War II. Learn why America is headed toward for trouble, how this deadly war – already in its infancy – is shaping up, and what you can do to protect yourself and your family.
Starting out as a rifleman in the Vietnam War, Thomas Chittum went on to serve in Rhodesia and Croatia back when the shit was hard. In 1997, he wrote a book attempting to forecast the war he saw coming to America, drawing from both formal research and personal observations downrange.
In light of last week’s look at Strauss and Howe’s “Fourth Turning” thesis and its implications for a Trump administration presiding over an America struggling through an emerging Crisis Era, it seemed appropriate to review Chittum’s book on how such a conflict could play out.
“The underlying cause of this second civil war is nothing less than the very nature of our country and its peoples,” Chittum states. He argues that polities tend toward nations or empires; defining nations as being small and ethno-culturally homogenous with a higher degree of internal stability, whereas empires are multi-racial, multi-cultural, and far larger in scale while being internally divided as its various factions compete for control over an ever-expanding central power.
Furthermore, “ongoing and dramatic changes in this country’s ethnic composition are rapidly transforming America into a more empire-like entity, a naturally unstable political cardhouse doomed to collapse exactly as every other multi-ethnic empire throughout world history.”
He notes that one of the harbingers of such conflict is the onset of unrest among the urbanite; “Urban riots have preceded almost every revolution and civil war in western civilization since the Industrial Revolution.” Such riots in the current context will follow a pattern featuring certain characteristics:
- Heavy Weapons; armored vehicles, aircraft, artillery, etc. (convergence of law enforcement into military)
- Ethnic Militias; armed confrontation with each other
- Barricades; “When rioters erect barricades, they’re taking an important step, consciously or unconsciously, towards creating a new nation, however small or temporary. These barricades are boundaries. They proclaim that all on one side are of the same tribe, and that all on the other side are foreigners…After these physical barricades are torn down by the police, the barricades still remain in the hearts and minds of those who erected them…”
- Siege of Police Stations; law enforcement seen as hostile foreign power
Chittum then expands on the increasing instability and political centralization inherent to multi-ethnic empires, affirming Heartiste’s maxim: “Diversity + Proximity = War.” Such empires are given over to heavy social tiering as they afford certain groups “special privileges to enlist their support in the subjugation of the other groups.” Here he argues that as for America, it had begun as a tiered nation with English-speaking Europeans at the top with their power based upon the following:
- “They were more numerous.”
- “They had, and kept to themselves, the economic power.”
- “They controlled the political machinery.”
- “They mutually recognized each other as co-nationals and considered all others second class citizens, subhumans to be enslaved, or vermin to be rid of.”
- “They had privately owned firearms, a final assurance that they, both as a group and as individuals, held real power and rights that even their own government would dare not tamper with lightly.”
However, the balance of power for this tiering is being inverted through social engineering and mass immigration as the result of the efforts of the “International Bureaucratic Elite” (the sum of modern international organizations and treaties; the IMF, the UN, multinational corporations, NAFTA, etc.) who seek to re-cast America as the core of a global empire from which they can profit.
The unraveling of the social, economic, and political fabric resulting from this movement toward empire will give rise to guerrilla movements. Here he draws from Mao, stating the three necessary conditions for successful guerrilla campaigns:
- “the active support of a significant portion of the population, say 10%. It is sufficient that the remainder are apathetic or terrorized into submission.”
- “secure sanctuaries for the guerrilla formations to operate from. An adjacent country whose government actively supports the guerrillas is ideal, but in-country sanctuaries such as jungles, swamps or mountains will suffice.”
- “ongoing aid from a foreign government in the form of financial assistance, armaments, diplomatic and other support”
Chittum then moves on to discussing the various lines along which the country will fragment, beginning with “Reconquista of our Southwest.” He asserts that as the Mexican immigrant population increases (thriving under welfare transfers), Spanish will supplant English as the dominant language, and many Texas Anglos will leave to other locations. Services from law enforcement to health care will become increasing fractured along these lines until the Southwest becomes a “de facto province of Mexico.” This will be compounded by a revolution in Mexico in which he envisions an economic collapse and the entrenchment of a Leftist regime, who following Mao’s advice (and with the support of multinationals), will support efforts to expand their frontier northward.
For Dixie, Chittum suspects the future holds a “Revolution in the Black South.” Between an exodus of Northern Blacks returning to The South and higher birthrates among Blacks relative to Whites, he saw The South shifting toward a Black majority who will change the political center of gravity accordingly. As Blacks consolidate power in cities, Whites will leave to suburbs and rural areas due to social and economic pressures (such as Affirmative Action policies affecting employment and higher taxes to finance increased welfare expenditures), leading to a constellation throughout The South of Black “mini-states” assisted by the Federal government, and White “enclaves” who come to see “that guerrilla warfare will be their only realistic reply to legally constituted Black political/military pressure in the form of Black politicians and Black police who will combine to abuse Whites, seize their property under color of law, and generally make life untenable throughout The South.”
Chittum posits that armed conflict within The South will be the most widespread of the other fronts due to:
…the close intermingling of the races, which the White flight into enclaves will only partly reduce. It will also be utterly without mercy due to the mutual hatred and loathing so deeply rooted in Southern history. Unlike the Mexican aliens in the Southwest, all Blacks are citizens who can vote, and they have a cohesive establishment that is already seizing power legally and gradually, thus skipping the guerrilla stage of Civil War II, at least initially. In fact, the first guerrilla and/or terrorist formations to appear in The South will almost certainly be White. Military virtues, traditional values, patriotism, religious fundamentalism, adherence to cultural norms, and distrust of central authority have long been features of Southern White culture. Likewise, many White Southerners tend to react to events in a very personal and immediate manner, a characteristic that confounds Yankees. All these are characteristics of a warrior culture, not unlike Afghans or Apaches, and this Southern White warrior culture will have much impact on the unfolding of Civil War II in The South.
Whereas the Southwest allows for Mexicans to follow Mao’s rules, Chittum sees them as untenable in The South, leading to a scenario more like the collapse of the former Yugoslavia in which “fighting broke out almost overnight following a total breakdown of central authority.”
If Whites remain the majority, Chittum suspects that events will begin much the same, though with fewer instance of Black-controlled state governments and Black enclaves in the end facing ethnic cleansing and possible relocation to a “Black homeland.”
For him, whichever group has the majority at the onset of fighting will dictate which scenario occurs. Here he makes the argument that it is actually in Black interests to cease Mexican immigration due to their treatment in Latin American countries; furthermore, doing so would afford them more time to secure their power base in The South. In addition he warns of possible intervention by the imperial state:
Blacks should pause from time to time and remind themselves that the establishment’s abandonment of the White working class was not based on moral principles, but self-serving computation. Also, despite the oh-so-fashionable disparagement of the White working class by the wine and cheese set, these “angry White males” will remain the most potent pool of military assets in North America for some time. Should the White establishment give them the go-ahead, the Blacks will not survive. An establishment imposed solution may well be a “final” solution.
Chittum expects similar trends in The North; “Black inner cities surrounded by primarily White suburban and rural areas. Blacks will seize the municipal governments and urban Blacks will become increasingly poverty-stricken due to mismanagement and corruption of Black one party rule…Riots will increase, and Black mayors will not put them down so as not to alienate their power base.” White flight to neighboring enclaves will increase, as will the development of parallel institutions for establishing security. Local police and National Guard units may engage each other or split, depending on racial composition.
The outcome of such a conflict is contingent up who are the dominant factions in control of the Federal government. Though Blacks would be vulnerable in a scenario in which they possessed control over urban areas due to logistics and infrastructure considerations:
If the Federal government is captured by an alliance of radical Whites and minorities, they may prudently transfer heavy weapons to military bases loyal to them…A minority-dominated Federal military and the military formations of Southern Blacks might well have more firepower than White suburban and rural populations who may well be without privately-owned firearms by the time these events come to pass. It is clear that in a straight up Black versus White confrontation in The North, the Blacks lose. This reality dictates a strategy of a Black alliance with establishment White imperialists, and internationalists. This is a high risk strategy because Blacks will almost certainly be thrown overboard by the establishment if the percentage of their population decreases, and it may well result in a White genocidal fury against them if it is unsuccessful and the Whites win. If the Blacks are initially successful, White guerrillas will certainly fight back. Again, these events will not occur in isolation. Canada, which itself may break up into English-speaking and French-speaking sections, may provide sanctuaries for White guerrilla formations. Foreign governments may give assistance to either side as their self-interests dictate, and the UN may occupy parts of America.
In the next few chapters, Chittum discusses who will join “The Tribal Armies of Civil War II” and why. Here anything goes, with armed organizations both official (law enforcement, military, etc.) and unofficial (gangs, militia, private security firms) being up for grabs by shooters in an ethnically polarized environment. He sees these groups exploiting vulnerabilities in US military and police installations under certain circumstances (from outside or inside) and co-opting them for use.
As to the nature of Civil War II, Chittum offers a grim forecast, noting, “the more dissimilar the combatants are in race, nationality, religion, language, and culture the more vicious the fighting usually is…” As a result of the dissolution of what homogeneity there had been in America and just how fragmented the country has become, all bets are off. For him, the war to come will be fought with all the viciousness and ferocity of the Indian Wars, with all the torture and genocide that entails. Conventional military forces (long captive to the defense industry and bureaucratic sclerosis) will prove bloated, divided, and unable to adapt with sufficient effectiveness in the face of highly motivated guerrilla partisans fighting for tribe and home. Leaders of imperial America will be in a position of either co-opting the opposition (by offering some reform per counter-insurgency doctrine) or ethnic cleansing, and ultimately incapable of doing either.
It is here asserts something that could have been written last week rather than twenty years ago (emphasis mine):
If Civil War II breaks out during a severe economic downturn, which is almost certain, many unemployed men will find it a dramatic improvement in their lives.
America is awash in unemployed young men who are economically useless due to their lack of capital and marketable skills. While utterly useless in the economic sense, they are definitely assets in the military equation, because vigorous, motivated, and aggressive young males are exactly what are needed in infantry combat. This studied neglect of economically useless young males will continue because the economic establishment considers any investment in them a drain on their precious corporate profits, and they import H-1B non-immigrant foreigners rather than invest in young Americans. Ironic as it may seem, the establishment is actively assembling the very army that will cut their throats. But it won’t be merely for worldly gain or revenge that these young men will fight to their deaths in Civil War II. It will be for something noble, for something basic to higher human nature, no matter how perversely manifested. They will be self-motivated by a sense of purpose, a sense of purpose that is now entirely absent from their dismal and aimless lives.
These young males of all races have grievances, real grievances, and lots of them. They also have guns, real guns, and lots of them. As the ancient Chinese curse goes, “May you live in interesting times!” Well, I fully expect that the sole virtue of the multi-ethnic American Empire will be a decided absence of boredom.
In addition to domestic conflict, the economic aftershocks could result in global economic cataclysm. This would walk hand in had with mass starvation due to supply chain disruption as the result of the high degree of specialization and logistical complexity of modern agriculture, to say nothing of the wide scale loss of knowledge in the First World as to how to feed itself.
As for the conflict itself, Chittum poses that after an initial outburst, the situation will transition to something resembling a siege as combatants within the major blocs of the Southwest, South, and North solidify their positions. This would play out over four phases:
- The Foundation Phase; the entrenchment of the postwar establishment, beginning the process of “imperial conversion” of America from nation to empire
- The Terrorist Phase; “…characterized by significant and increasing violence by both the imperial security forces and the resistance…anti-establishment violence is typically carried out by individuals and small groups of part-time radicals with little support from the increasingly disaffected but still mainly complacent majority.” (Note: he marks this phase with the time of his writing in the Nineties.)
- The Guerrilla Warfare Phase; whereas the previous phase anti-establishment combatants were part time, in the Guerrilla Phase, they will be full time partisans, countered by an internal security force abridging civil liberties
- All-Out Continuous Warfare; “This phase will be marked by multiple-day riots that the Federal military can not crush in all cases. The front will appear.” All hell breaks loose as things spiral out of control. America as we know it will be gone, replaced over a period of total war by newer, smaller nations as they define themselves and their boundaries.
Much of the rest of the book is an elaboration of earlier themes. He explains the importance of location, recommending that readers to move to places away from military installations, ethno-culturally diverse areas, or zones near where he believes the fronts to be, in favor of relocating to more homogeneous small towns and communities (preferably as self-sustaining as possible).
Following a discussion on the events at Waco, Ruby Ridge, and Oklahoma City, Chittum runs through preparedness tips, such as keeping a modest stockpile of food on hand as well as extra ammunition. As a man who recently wrestled with the question of whether the AK-47, FN FAL, or AR-15 for his next gun purchase, I found he made an interesting argument in terms of recommended firearms and calibers. (Chittum suggests the .308 due to its increased range and knockdown power over the smaller and lighter 5.56’s potential to be carried in greater quantities for the purpose of sustaining concentrated fire on a target. His reasoning is that much of the fighting in the scenario he describes would be in urban or rural areas with good visibility rather than canopy jungles, in addition to the proliferation of personal body armor diminishing the effectiveness of smaller caliber rounds. “The more you know!”)
He devotes a section to commentary from military thinkers and analysts, offering up opinions on the likelihood of the dissolution of the US, followed by a statistical analysis of the demographics of European countries and their incidences of civil war.
Civil War II’s structure could be better organized. Chittum’s definitions of nation and empire are more informal than those a professional anthropologist may find comfortable. His prose is aimed at his target audience, the average American reader, rather than an academic security studies journal. While this may diminish its potential to be taken seriously by some, I believe Chittum makes up for it by being plainspoken and earnest. He is a man writing in the Nineties who has seen war on several continents and is watching his world fall apart and knows he can’t stop it. He wants his fellow citizens to know what he thinks is coming, why it’s happening, and what to do about it.
Among the criticisms directed at Chittum’s work is that “it’s racist.” This is ironic in that Chittum appears to possess sincere civic nationalist, libertarian, classical republican sympathies common to many Boomer veterans in the Patriot movement, and when he addresses issues of ethno-racial identity, I was left with impression he did so lamentedly. (Considering most readers of this site possess a grounding in Human Biodiversity and have moved on from the postwar love affair with popular democracy, many may wince at some of his statements, detecting in them the specter of cuckservatism. Furthermore, like many of his generation, he more or less follows the standard narrative of WWII and appears oblivious to organized Jewry in his ethno-racial-tribal assessments.) Apparently, even acknowledging that factors such as ethnicity or race figure into any sort of conflict matrix is out of the question for many mainstream readers.
Also, as some have noted, there is a middling level of analysis of policy or meta-politics. Factors such as mass immigration for instance are stated bluntly without addressing specifically how those policies came into being. However, in Chittum’s defense, his book ultimately concerns itself with the unfolding of the kinetic phase of conflict. If one so wishes, there is a time perhaps for assessing the linkages between the Petrodollar and Wahhabism in the age of Postmodernity, however, by the time Haji is shooting at you, that horse is well out of the barn.
While Chittum seems to be on target in many respects, there are things he didn’t foresee, such as 9/11. Likewise, the significance of the internet (serving as a platform or battlespace for phenomena ranging from enhanced networking/coordination tools to mass samizdat distribution to psychological warfare), or that in addition to the friction between Whites, Blacks, and Mexicans, America would see an increasing immigrant population from Asia and the Middle East to such an extent, that were he writing in the present day, he may take them into greater account. This is to say nothing of the lengths Leviathan will go to secure its ports, refineries, farms, rails, bases, pipelines, etc., which may make them harder to take by a guerrilla force than they seemed twenty years ago. There is little discussion on how nuclear weapons would figure into things. Furthermore, references to “the New World Order” or the threat posed by the UN seem dated and suggestive of tinfoil, though I’ll allow that certain elements related to them seem to continue to haunt us.
As for Civil War II as a whole, all of this isn’t to say that the conflict Chittum describes is exactly how things will go. He puts kick-off a few years out at around 2020, so I guess we’ll see. As much as I notice many in the world around me sensing the same thing I do, I also see the apathy. The wallowing in the madness. In the end, I believe change will come, as it always does, and as it passes by it will leave a butcher’s bill to be settled. God help us when it does. However, I do think that some of what he describes could happen and I felt obliged to pass it along to you all. Clocking in at around 180 pages, Civil War II makes for a brisk read. I’d encourage you all to take a look at it. If there’s something in it I missed that you’d like others to know about, I’d be obliged if you’d make a note in the comments.
Chittum wrote a checklist that I will leave below. For now, I’ll let him close:
Western Civilization will be transformed; tribalism will blossom into its ultimate expression. Nations will unite into super blocks of Europeans against Africans. Christians against Moslems, East against West, and rich against poor until some hideous climax predator claws its way to the top of the smoking global bone heap. And what excuse will we Americans have?…
Like all men of goodwill, I ask nothing more than to live peacefully in my own country where I enjoy the equal protection of the law without corruption of blood, exactly as set down in our Constitution. Regrettably, this simple and just concept is dead, and so is America.
Civil War II Checklist (1997)
- Ethnic/racial classification on government documents. “Every time you see a blank for your ethnic group on a form, think Civil War II.”
- “If illegal aliens are allowed to vote, even in local elections, it will be another unmistakable signal that American citizenship, and therefore America itself, is finished.”
- “The abolition of the right to bear arms.”
- “Watch for racially split juries.”
- “Watch for the military to assume police duties.”
- “Watch for the establishment of an elite military force outside the chain of command of the regular military to serve as an internal counterinsurgency force.”
- “Watch for Washington D.C. to increasingly resemble the capital of some banana republic under siege by revolutionaries and mobs. Specifically, watch for riots in Washington D.C. to grow in scope until they menace the White House and the Congress.”
- “Resegregation: Watch for Africans and other minorities demanding, and often getting, separate facilities for themselves, another clear sign that they’re continuing to reject co-option.”
- “Watch for further replacement of individual rights by group rights”
- “Watch for non-governmental organizations acquiring military power. As we are increasingly losing our common identity as Americans, people are increasingly turning to alternate sources of psychological fulfillment and the increasingly necessary military protection that such organizations are extending.”
- “Watch for real political power to continue to shift from our elected officials to the courts, and thus away from the American people.”
- “Watch for more instances of real political power flowing from American institutions to international bodies, thus again flowing away from American citizens.”
- “Watch for minorities and radical whites to continue to seize control of American institutions. Our courts, schools, universities, the media, many churches, and many unions have been completely or partially taken over, and politically incorrect dissidents expelled or intimidated into silence.”
- “Watch for secessionist movements and other movements seeking autonomy on American soil.”
- “Watch for race-based political parties”
- “Watch for the emergence of “no-go” areas for the police in our cities”
- “Watch for a so-called slave tax refund or some similar vehicle that will automatically subsidize all blacks for life.”
- “Watch for court orders and other schemes mandating more voting districts in which blacks are intentionally a majority.”
- “Watch other multi-ethnic empires for ethnic violence, a general loss of democracy, increasing poverty, waves of refugees, and their actual breakup in ethnic warfare.”
- “Watch for the spread of walled suburbs”
- “Watch for more mind control hoaxes by the establishment media.”
- “Watch for an increasing percentage of minorities in our military, the use of foreigners in our military, the use of UN troops on our soil, or even the establishment of an American Foreign Legion.”
- “Watch for more out of court settlements in cases of alleged racial discrimination.”
- “Watch for more restrictions on freedom of speech by the government and the establishment media. This will drive non-establishment people underground and radicalize them. All manner of radical underground newsletters and other media will appear, which will give the government an excuse for yet more unconstitutional means of silencing them by harassment by the FCC, and other more direct – even terminal – means, by the BATF and the FBI.”
- “Watch for police to increasingly abandon their traditional uniforms for ones that resemble military and secret police uniforms”
- “Watch for clandestine groups of white officers to form within our federal, state and local police”
- “Watch for an arm of the federal government charged with promoting racist affirmative action, such as the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, to acquire agents that carry guns and have the power to make arrests.”
- “Watch for the collapse of the US dollar as the world’s premier currency. This will be the signal that will confirm our status as a third-world nation.”
- “Watch for growing geographic segregation and its increasing mention in the establishment press.”
- “Watch for signs that the global military equation and American dominance in it are being challenged.”
- “Watch for the breakup of Canada.”
- “Watch for an increased flow of Americans immigrating to Canada.”
- “Watch for political and legal organizations formed along ethnic lines that will parallel, and ultimately displace their official rivals.”
- “Watch for more help wanted ads stating that job applicants must be bilingual.”
- “Watch for indications that the UN is assuming the role of a world government, and that the US is losing even more of its national sovereignty”
- “Watch for a certain picture. We’ve all seen this picture countless times before, a picture from Beirut, Budapest, Afghanistan, Vietnam, Sri Lanka, Yugoslavia, Somalia – a burnt-out tank, perhaps the charred corpse of a crewman protruding through a hatch, and jubilant rebels posing atop the tank waving assault rifles and a flag. Someday we shall see this picture in our newspapers yet again, and this time taken on American soil. The tank, the dead crewman, and rebels will all be Americans, All will be American except the flag, which will be a Mexican, Aztlan, New Africa, or Confederate flag. When we see this picture, it will be too late. Civil War II will be upon us. But there’s another picture we’ll see first, again, one we’ve all seen before from some unfortunate land. But this time it will be taken right here in the US of A – a picture of a dirty, ragged child foraging for food in a garbage dump.